Teaching in the Arctic... in socks!

I was invited as a guest lecturer at the University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) in Longyearbyen between 4 and 8 September 2017. This was a unique opportunity on so many levels!

As part of the course AGF-213 Polar Meteorology and Climate, undergraduate students also learn about atmospheric chemistry, the part of the course for which I was in charge. It was a great opportunity to review and refresh my knowledge on many topics that are not part of my everyday research and their relevance to the polar regions such as:


Longyearbyen (and in particular UNIS) is a very special place: it feels vibrant despite the remote location of the settlement and all the modern comfort is available. One aspect that makes it special is that you have to leave your outdoor shoes at the entrance of most buildings. Therefore I was teaching wearing the woolen socks that my friend Maija made for me for my birthday!

Besides preparing the lectures and teaching I had some time to explore Longyearbyen, take a hike on a nearby mountain, and take advantage of the swimming pool, restaurants, and bars. There is a strong feeling of community in this place where research and tourism are very well implemented.

Some scientists live here, some come often to visit. For a first time visitor like me, I find difficult to describe all my impressions with words. Therefore I will conclude with a set of pictures.

Impressions of Longyearbyen (Copyright: Arnaud Praplan)


PS: I am extremely thankful to Hannele who recommended me and to Timo for contacting me about this teaching opportunity. I would like to thank Marius as my contact person at UNIS who made everything run smoothly. It was great to see Siiri, who is studying there and who I met originally in Helsinki, and to get to know Nora, who took me on a nice hike!

Comments